Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Human Condition

Wow. What a day outside. You probably aren't expecting small-talk about the weather on blogs...I wouldn't either, but it really is a glorious day outside.

Guess where I am?

Yeah. Not outside. Working. Inside. In a place I don't like.

Man, that sounds depressing doesn't it? I don't mean to get all hippie on you here...but isn't it ridiculous that I have to sit inside the stale, corporate walls on a day like today? Is capitalism really that important, so much that it is valued over any human enjoyment? Well, I value the big picture over my unrewarding job so I used excuses galore to get outside today.

I guess I think about all this in a very post-modern way. I've been doing a lot of reading on post-modernism and modernism since I am reading a book about the Christian side of it. Interesting stuff. The modern way is thinking that we NEED to work, because that is what will make you happy. The outcome of work is not a mental, philshophical, or human reward...it is a material reward. This sounds really communist. Communism doesn't work. I know that. We know that. Apparently Cuba doesn't know that.

I think we value freedom over any other of our rights in America. We should, because everybody deserves to be free. However, we are slaves to our own ritualistic routine. There will always be those to break the molds, but why do we all go to school, then work until we can no longer physically do so? I'm sure none of us would ever choose to do it this way. This is just the way it is done. We try to find what and who we love, but most are unable to do so because of the crushing reality of just trying to maintain life. Doesn't that suck?

Now that you are good and depressed/vulnerable I propose we stop letting 'The Man' run our life. We need to be more rebellious. Age shouldn't play a part. For some reason or another people lose their spark for change. Perhaps someone can explain that to me someday. If you don't want to do something...don't do it anymore. I've decided that I'm going to leave my current job at the end of the year. I have NO idea what I am going to do after I do leave. Something. Anything. Well not anything...but I haven't decided. In fact, I have no idea. I don't like where I am right now and need to change.

I used to hate change. Now, I think I have to embrace it.

={+}=

No comments: