Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Why Working is Stealing My Soul (Part 1 of 2,348)

Just about everyday I leave the office to walk about an 1/8 mile to the Super America that is near work. Especially on days like today...a beautiful February day. I rarely actually buy anything at Super America...maybe a water a pop or something, but that isn't the point. I just need to get outside and move.

It is always a blissful ten minutes. As soon as I got back and sat at my desk I was immediately bombarded by a coworker. In the matter of seconds he used so much business jargon that my head was about to unhinge. As he was walking away, he said: "Just shoot me an e-mail about this."

He had just dumped work on me. It was something he didn't want to do, so he thought of a creative way to make it sound like a marketing job and dumped it. This guy isn't even a manager or anything...he is the sales coordinator, and usually a fairly cool guy.

I'm not going to do it. It is his responsibility and the fall would be on him.

This ruined my bliss.

After I sat there, in my now bliss-less state. Another dull coworker stopped by and in a Lumburgh-esque tone asked me how it was going. I glared. He then brought up Britney Spears and the fact that she shaved her head.

I was speechless. How do I accurately convey my level of malaise towards STUPID celeb-culture crap like this? I mumbled something about how dumb it was. He smiled at me and left.

Thankfully, writing this made me less numb. I'm excited for the rest of this week. It is my sister's and my friend Mike's birthdays this week. I get together with friends tonight. Left On Farwell plays on Friday (7:30 at Club 3 degrees!) and Gaustof's on Saturday.

It makes me forget how dumb my job is sometimes.

How can someone ever become a workaholic? I'm an anti-workaholic!

Happy Tuesday.

={+}=

1 comment:

Joe said...

Mr. Brett, as much as office life sucks, be thankful you have every weekend off...I'd probably go so far as to donate a testicle at this point to enjoy that luxury. :( I just bid on my next 6 months of schedule...and it's less than nice at this point...on a side note, I'm thankful you're coming to see us rock out Friday night.

PS-My Rubik's cube is driving me crazy...